Category Archives: Special Collections features and exhibits

Category used to identify posts about Special Collections collections and web exhibits that are eligible for reposting

TCU Archives and Historical Collection

Overview

Special Collections holds the archives of TCU which document the rich history of the University since its founding in 1873 by Addison and Randolph Clark. The collection includes complete runs of the Daily Skiff, the student newspaper, and The Horned Frog yearbook. It also holds the papers of former presidents, chancellors, and chief administrative officers, professors, and students. The TCU Photograph Collection includes photos covering the entire history of the University. Special Collections also holds archival copies of every thesis and dissertation submitted for an advanced degree.

Brite Archives

TCU Special Collections also holds the records of Brite Divinity School and other archival documents, publications, and photographs since its founding in 1914 as Brite College of the Bible.

Links:

TCU Digital Repository

Catalog searches:

TCU Naming Authority Database

University records finding aids

Originally posted 2017-02-20 05:48:19.

Comments Off on TCU Archives and Historical Collection

Pate-Newcomer Luxembourg Collection

One of the largest such collections in the United States, the Pate-Newcomer Collection contains well over 1,500 catalogued items covering all aspects of the people, life, and culture of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. All materials are housed in the Gearhart Reading Room of the Mary Couts Burnett Library at Texas Christian University. While primarily books, the collection includes materials of all kinds: maps, periodicals, pamphlets, government documents, art, photographs, and sound recordings. Most of the material is in LĂ«tzebuergesch, French, German, or English and was published in the Grand Duchy. A search of the collection in the library’s online public catalog quickly reveals the wide range of material.

The Luxembourg Collection is the result of the cooperative efforts of the late Mr A. M. Pate; his brother, Sebert Pate; Dr James Newcomer, Vice-Chancellor Emeritus of Texas Christian University; and the Library. It was Dr Newcomer, author of a history of the Grand Duchy, who first envisioned the Luxembourg Collection and it has largely been through his efforts that the materials are available for scholars and students.

The Pate-Newcomer Luxembourg Collection is available for use at any time the Mary Couts Burnett Library is open to the public. Special Collections staff can offer reference assistance in using the collection and they can be contacted at (817) 257-7108.

The Luxembourg Collection is made possible through the generosity of the late Mr A. M. Pate; Mrs Joyce Capper; Mr Sebert Pate; and Dr James Newcomer, Vice-Chancellor Emeritus, Texas Christian University.

Related links

Originally posted 2017-03-13 05:53:43.

Comments Off on Pate-Newcomer Luxembourg Collection

Online exhibits: Campus Views from 1928 and Selected Football Programs from the 30s and 40s

We invite you to view these online exhibits from TCU’s Special Collections:

Campus Views from 1928, featuring photographs of the TCU campus from 1928.

Selected Football Programs from the 30s and 40s, featuring the covers of TCU football programs.

Originally posted 2017-06-09 05:44:37.

Comments Off on Online exhibits: Campus Views from 1928 and Selected Football Programs from the 30s and 40s

Autograph Letters and Manuscripts from the William Luther Lewis Collection

This online exhibit features autograph letters and manuscripts from the William Luther Lewis Collection, representing over three hundred principal authors of English and American literature. The collection is composed of approximately fifteen hundred titles, nearly nine hundred of which are first editions. Almost all of the volumes are in uniquely fine condition. Assembled in the 1930s and 1940s by William Luther Lewis, the materials range in date from the fifteenth to the twentieth centuries. By and large, however, the collection consists of works written by the outstanding figures of the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. It is housed in the library’s Special Collections area on the second floor.

Originally posted 2017-04-10 05:16:29.

Comments Off on Autograph Letters and Manuscripts from the William Luther Lewis Collection

Harold Maples Editorial Cartoon Collection

The collection consists entirely of original editorial cartoons by Harold Maples published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram from 1954 through 1981. He covered the major local, national, and international events of the late 20th century. Known nationally for his skillfully executed drawings, Maples gave each a distinctive Texas flavor.

The Harold Maples Collection has been digitized and is available in our digital repository.

Online exhibit: Maples from the Fifties: an exhibit of editorial cartoons from the pen of Harold Maples and originally published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

 

Originally posted 2017-06-26 05:54:32.

Comments Off on Harold Maples Editorial Cartoon Collection