Category Archives: Recent acquisitions
Through the generosity of the Friends of the TCU Library, the library has acquired a late 18th century, illustrated manuscript of Spanish adages and proverbs, Manuscript Iluminado: Décimas y Sentencias Morales. The book contains 96 décimas, ten-line poems popular in Spanish-speaking countries, illustrating the adages followed by a sentencia, or moral judgment. Each page contains one décima and sentencia and is headed by a folk art ink and watercolor drawing illustrating the proverb. The volume showcases the tradition of the décima, folklore, and culture of poetry in Mexico. The décima was a very popular poetic form among the common people and contests were often held for the composing or singing of the décimas. The poetic form was used to drive home secular or religious truths but could also be used to poke fun at those in authority. In addition to the décimas the volume contains an index followed by an alphabetical list of popular adages complied by Josef Antonio Rosales y Yepes.
Many thanks to the Friends for their continued generous support of the Library.
Special Collections recently received items from the family of Mrs. Kathleen Woodier Lutz. Born in Harvey, Illinois in 1921, she moved with her family to Vernon, Texas during her high school years. While attending Harris School of Nursing, she married in secret, as student nurses were not allowed to have spouses. She graduated in 1943 and continued to work at Harris Hospital until she moved with her husband to Bremerton, Washington in 1944.
Items in the collection include a nurse’s cape, cap, a diploma from Harris Nursing College, two photographs of Mrs. Lutz, and other items. A collection inventory is available on the Special Collections website.
Mrs. Lutz shared a story with her family about working at Harris Hospital in Fort Worth.
“Mom said that the student nurses had to wear stockings. However, due to the summer heat in Ft. Worth, the staff allowed them to go bare legged providing they had tanned legs. Ergo, after pulling night shifts, mom and her cohorts, and I guess the bulk of the students, would go sit up on the hospital roof to soak up the sun. She used to say ‘Bet they wouldn’t recommend that now!'”
The Harris School of Nursing was founded by Fort Worth surgeon Dr. Charles Harris in 1912 when he saw a need for highly trained nurses in North Texas. In 1946, the School was incorporated into TCU and became the Harris College of Nursing.
This excerpt from the 1947/1948 Harris College of Nursing catalog and handbook shows that Mrs. Lutz was probably not the only young student to wed in secret.
Special Collections receives Seventeenth–Century Gradual
Special Collections has received an early seventeenth-century gradual, the music and words for all the Masses of the Roman Catholic liturgical year, through the thoughtful generosity of Dr. Catherine A. Colquitt. The gradual is probably of Iberian origin as it uses a five-line rather than a four-line staff for the chant notation. Although not medieval, the volume was produced using the same methods and materials that would have been used to produce the same document in the Middle Ages: vellum, gold illumination, hand written words and notation. Although it appears that many of the versals, or initial letters, and illustrations have been printed using wooden blocks and then later highlighted in color by hand.
At the request of the donor, the volume is to be known as the Mixson-Colquitt Gradual, was given in memory of Dr. Colquitt’s partents, Betsy and Landon Colquitt, who were for many years members of the faculty of TCU; and in honor of Linda and Keith Mixson.
Thank you, Dr. Colquitt, for this magnificent gift.
Special Collections has acquired a first edition copy of one of Anthony Trollope’s rarer books, Why Frau Frohmann Raised Her Prices and Other Stories, published in London by the firm of William Isbister in December 1881. In addition to the title story the volume includes “The Lady of Launay,” “Christmas at Thompson Hall,” “The Telegraph Girl” and “Alice Dugdale.” All five having been published serially between 1876 and 1877. This copy is bound in bright blue cloth; the most common color of cloth being light sage green. We are fortunate to have added this fine, bright copy to the Library’s Anthony Trollope collection. The acquisition was made possible by a generous gift of a long-time Friend and Library supporter. Thank you!