Category Archives: Fort Worth History
Special Collections recently received items from the family of Mrs. Kathleen Woodier Lutz. Born in Harvey, Illinois in 1921, she moved with her family to Vernon, Texas during her high school years. While attending Harris School of Nursing, she married in secret, as student nurses were not allowed to have spouses. She graduated in 1943 and continued to work at Harris Hospital until she moved with her husband to Bremerton, Washington in 1944.
Items in the collection include a nurse’s cape, cap, a diploma from Harris Nursing College, two photographs of Mrs. Lutz, and other items. A collection inventory is available on the Special Collections website.
Mrs. Lutz shared a story with her family about working at Harris Hospital in Fort Worth.
“Mom said that the student nurses had to wear stockings. However, due to the summer heat in Ft. Worth, the staff allowed them to go bare legged providing they had tanned legs. Ergo, after pulling night shifts, mom and her cohorts, and I guess the bulk of the students, would go sit up on the hospital roof to soak up the sun. She used to say ‘Bet they wouldn’t recommend that now!'”
The Harris School of Nursing was founded by Fort Worth surgeon Dr. Charles Harris in 1912 when he saw a need for highly trained nurses in North Texas. In 1946, the School was incorporated into TCU and became the Harris College of Nursing.
This excerpt from the 1947/1948 Harris College of Nursing catalog and handbook shows that Mrs. Lutz was probably not the only young student to wed in secret.
The finding aid for the William Jackson Hammond Papers is now online. The collection was processed and the finding aid written by history graduate student, Jensen Branscombe, supervised by Senior Archivist Mike Strom.
William Jackson (Jack) Hammond was born in 1896 in Red Oak, Texas. He attended TCU and was ordained in 1922, received his B.A. in 1923, and his M.A. in 1924. He received his PhD from the University of California in1929. Hammond returned to Fort Worth and joined the history department as an associate professor in 1929, specializing in Latin American history, and achieved the rank of professor in 1931. He continued teaching until his death in 1966, and served as department chair from 1934-1964. Hammond was also active in local politics during the 1930s. He ran for City Councilman on the Progressive Democratic Party ticket and served from 1935-1937. He was chosen as mayor in 1937 by the City Council, a position he held for a year before resigning to dedicate all of his time to teaching and research at TCU.
From Ms Branscombe’s finding aid